Saturday, March 1, 2014

Kon-Tiki


Hammer of Doom watched Kon-Tiki a while back and recommended it. Since I listen to him from time to time I gave it a whirl. And I dug it. I guess he gets to live another day. ;)

It's a true story of some mad-hatter Norwegians who build a raft from balsa wood and rope. They FLOAT 5,000 miles from Peru to Polynesia to prove that Tiki settled on Polynesia 1,500 years prior by the same means. It was a theory that Thor held after studying the Tiki for 10 years but no one would listen to him in academia. However, after doing it in 1947 (I believe was the date) everyone listened the fuck up. Thor became a life-long adventurer and everyone in his motley crew of 5 others went on to do great things with their lives.

Thor made a documentary about it in 1951 and won the Academy Award. He wrote a book that's sold like 50 million copies in 70 languages or something absurd like that. This is their story. It's crazy.

So, the story is amazing. You get that. How was the film? It was good, but I had my small gripes. I felt that overall it was far too glossy. The cinematography was so bright and artificially lit. It just seemed very glamorous in its visual presentation. And I think something more down-to-earth would have suited the story better. But other than that, this was a good flick. If you want some light-hearted PG-13 adventure in your life...look no further.

Do all Norwegians look like Varg?

No comments:

Post a Comment