Sunday, February 9, 2014

Conan: The Death


Volume 14 of the Nemidian Chronicles came in the mail the other day. I had read those books on Frazetta and Pennington, so I was in a Fantasy mood. I hopped on Amazon and ordered this via Prime. Gotta love modern convenience.

This continues the story from the last book. Conan is sailing the western seas with his current hot warrior chick. But things go south pretty quickly when they Conan spies another vessel lost at sea...

I won't go into the plot, but I will go into how it kinda sucked. I liked the book because I'll always like Conan stories. But this one was far too much of a melodrama. The writing wasn't bad per se, but the angle it was approached at was pretty suspect. Very feminine representation of Conan. Not feeling that at all. Also the second artist that drops in sucked. They totally stripped Conan of his age and manhood. Didn't like it at all and was happy when they transitioned to another artist.

Conan stories are supposed to have certain elements, including plentiful decapitation. And this book did not provide. Conan should rarely be seen to be weak or be weakened by a woman. That's just not the Conan way. This whole book anchored around his feelings and that was just weird, man.

While I love this series, this book took a weird turn. There should have been a lot more bloodletting, drinking, and general ass-kicking and debauchery.

No comments:

Post a Comment