Saturday, May 25, 2013

Leviathan


I can't remember where I first came across this book. It definitely popped up in my google Reader feed somehow. The cover intrigued me so I read a bit about it.

It was originally published in parts in the 2000AD Megazine, so it immediately scored points with me. British authors writing about some gnarly mile-long evil ship from the roaring twenties. Cool. I'm in.

I picked the book up used on Amazon. I like the cover stock. Feels good. Well produced. The TPB itself contains the original Leviathan story, plus 3 or 4 mini stories that spun off the original.

D'Israeli's art is different. He inverts his lines in a way you don't see very often. Outlining with white instead of black, and whatnot. It's cool. The book is definitely succinct. There's no meandering. Edginton does a good job of editing out superfluous plot details. The Leviathan was supposed to be somewhat like the Titanic...only it's been at sea for decades now, never running out of fuel, and never able to make contact with life. It's essentially floating in limbo. Why? You'll have to read the book to find out.

I like the iconography in the book. I like the deco grandeur and the quintessentially aristocratic landed gentry that make up the first class passengers of the Leviathan. The whole package is well done. It's like the Great Gatsby meets the Great Deceiver.

It's a quick read. It's not amazing or anything. But it was worth the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment