Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Black Blizzard



I'm literally buying all of Tatsumi's catalog whenever I see his work. You know I went bananas over The Pushman, Abandon the Old in Tokyo, and Good-Bye.

So here's Black Blizzard. An early caper about a couple crooks on the lam. Murder, mystery, women, alcohol, great twists, and a gripping yarn. It's cool to see where Tatsumi came from. I definitely prefer The Pushman era of fucking fucked up sordid visions and indictments of Japanese culture. But Black Blizzard is cool, too. I dig the presentation; the paper stock and printing.

I've yet to read a Drifting Life (his massive autobiographical comic), but it's on my list o' comics to pick up. I know the creation of Black Blizzard is documented in A Drifting Life.

Yeah, Tatsumi rules. This book was tight. The only thing I'll say is that if you're new to Tatsumi, start with one of the titles listed above. But if you know him, you can't go wrong with checking this out at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment