Saturday, April 27, 2013

Iron Sky


I don't generally care for sci-fi or comedy...so last night I decided to watch a sic-fi comedy film. Two wrongs might make a right, right? Oh yeah, and I detest CGI and this film is ALL CGI.

So why'd I watch it?

Iron Sky has a brilliant premise: The Nazis fled the Earth in 1945 and hid on the dark side of the moon until 2018, when they were finally ready to attack Earth again. Moon Nazis with spaceships. That's fucking amazing.

It's the same attraction that made me watch Dead Snow (about Nazi zombies). Nazis just look so bad ass. It's a cheap gimmick that works! Throw in a totenkopf and some gothic script and I'm there.

Iron Sky is pretty good. The satire is what really shines. There are many cinematic allusions peppered in, as well as musical or cultural allusions that you have to catch. I'm sure you could watch it a few times and find more little gems. Did they pay for the quiet Pink Floyd synth sample or have I  just blown their cover? ;)

It opens with a white astronaut in a white suit named Sanders (colonel?), and a black astronaut in a black suit named Jackson. I liked it from the get-go.

Overall, it could have been much better. But it was a good attempt. The Sarah Palin parody was particularly funny. I can't stand that woman, but seeing her portrayed in such a bad light (like a female GWB) puts a smile on your face.

I thought the acting was actually really good. The script was pretty freakin funny. The CGI (although constant) wasn't annoying probably because it was so ubiquitous. It never stood out.

I don't think it's such a bad way to spend 90 minutes.

I'm a pretty harsh critic for things like this, but every time I thought "meeeeeh, I might turn this off), they said something particularly witty or clever and I soldiered on. There were a couple women who definitely weren't hard on the eyes either. That helped.


Some pretty irreverent marketing material.

hotttttt.

No comments:

Post a Comment