Friday, December 21, 2012

the Leather Boys


The Leather Boys. Sounds gay, huh? Well, yeah it is actually. Ever wanted to see a love-triangle between two dudes and a chick set in Britain circa 1964 that uses the Café Racer subculture as its backdrop? Have I got the film for you!

We had "Shitty Biker Movie Night" last night and I curated something a little out of the ordinary. I had read about The Leather Boys in one of my Biker Movie books and I knew I had to hunt it down. Most of the flicks we watch are set in 60's America with Chopper culture. Here was a chance to hang out at the Ace Café with Rockers on their Brit bikes for once.

Both of the British biker flicks we've watched so far have been in a league of their own in regards to...let's say..."artistic merit". The cinematography in this was pretty sweet. The framing was good. It was a 1960's kitchen sink drama that unfolds to the tune of vintage Triumph exhaust notes! We've got a high school age couple who get married, go through troubles, and do some soul-searching. They argue over sex, over money, over dinner and housework. Y'know, that kinda crap. But in between the arguments they drink a lot of tea and hang out at the Ace quite a bit. Bumpin shoulders with lots of like-minded Rockers in London.

Oh yeah, the gay bit. It's pretty provocative for the early 60's. I don't wanna give away the whole damn plot but there's an interesting wrench thrown into the gears, if you know what I'm sayin'.

The film definitely hits on some interesting and relevant themes. I'm going to re-watch it again soon so I can catch all the witty dialogue and bike scenes (of which there should have been more!).

Acting was pretty good all round. Music could have been better. Dug the cinematography.

If you're into Café Racers this is a must-see. It's a good movie. But if you don't care about bikes then I'd skip it because it's not easily found on Netflix or anything. I had to drop $25 on Amazon.

Overall, good shit.

oof, that hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment