Monday, December 17, 2012

Alien


I used to watch Aliens all the time as a wee lad, but I'd only ever seen Alien once. So fast forward a couple decades and it was time to revisit the original. After being let down by Prometheus I wanted the mythos to redeem itself. Thankfully, it did.

Alien is clearly influenced by 2001 big time. Which is a damn good thing. Alien is pretty much everything Prometheus should have been. All the places that Prometheus went wrong; Alien got right. The story lines are pretty much the same. Prometheus just reads like someone re-imagined Alien 30 years later and did a crapper version of it.

Alien is much more concentrated and focused. It's tense. It's singular in its approach. Something happens and now we're dealing with that for 2 hours. Thank you. Great pacing. It's really well done.

Obviously it doesn't have shitty CGI. OK, so the chest-burster puppet and the main Alien aren't all that great..., but fuck it. If my memory is correct then they really nailed them in the sequel. The environments are all real cool, and the face-hugger is well done.

Very entertaining. I'll put Aliens in my queue to re-watch again, too. I can't be bothered with Alien 3 again. Shit, they probably even made a 4, didn't they? Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment