Thursday, November 23, 2017

Bruce Dickinson: An Autobiograhy


I pre-ordered this bad boy when I first heard about it. I think Dempz tipped me off? Maybe not. Anyway...

This year has been pretty hard to get through books and movies due to fatherly responsibilities, but I managed to get through this one quickly. I just worked out.

First off, it has an awful cover. The hairy-armed awkwardly foreshortened picture on the front sucks. As does the tacky diamond plate text. But that's besides the point. The contents are good. It's legit. And it makes up for the crappy cover with a great classic era Maiden shot on the back.

Secondly, this isn't a Maiden bio. It's a Bruce bio. So while Maiden feature predominantly, there's a lot of fencing and aviation in the pages. Especially the latter. Bruce also made the decision not to include any births, deaths, marriages, so you don't get any insight whatsoever into his relationships over the years.

I found it a very informative book with a unique voice (pun intended). Oh, speaking of puns, Bruce quite likes them. He drops a few cheesy puns that he probably thinks are witty. I dunno, they're alright. But anyway, these aren't the same ol' Bruce stories you've heard time and time again. This is his life in his own words and from his own perspective. It's cool. I've read "Run to the Hills" (the official Maiden bio), and this adds a lot to that story.

I don't think this holds up to the likes of Ozzy's or Slash's bios, for instance, but it's still worth reading.

Up the irons!

No comments:

Post a Comment