Sunday, August 9, 2015

Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton


Truth: I'd never heard of Stones Throw Records. I knew of Peanut Butter Wolf (the owner), though. I first heard him on the original Return of the DJ comp many many moons ago. He's a dope, world renowned DJ. Evidently he has a label that's been going strong for twenty years. He put out the J Dilla "Donuts" record that really shook things up. But anyway...

This is a doc about his label and it features interviews with some famous cats like Kweli, Kanye, Common, and Madlib. And lots of appearances by dudes that are totally off my radar. (Not that Kanye and Common are no my radar; fuck Kanye.) 

It's pretty cool to see how this label and a lot of these releases came together. Detroit represents on more than one hefty occasion.

This doc is well done and anyone who's into underground hip hop will definitely dig it. But if that's not your thing at all...I wouldn't really watch this. I don't think it's quite as transcendent as say the last doc I watched, No No.

Mad respect to PBW. He runs the label the right way...

(Breakestra are a Stones Throw Records alum. This album isn't on Stones Throw, but it's dope.)

No comments:

Post a Comment