Monday, February 18, 2013

Oscar Nominated Shorts



Every year Marie and I go to the DFT to see the 5 Oscar-nominated live-action shorts and 5 Oscar-nominated animated shorts.

As always, it was a sold out theatre. We sat in front of some bitch with a loud ass laugh. It was un-fucking-real. She cackled in my ear. It physically hurt. I prayed to Satan that the next 9 films would be about abortions and the holocaust so that bitch wouldn't have anything to laugh about. My prayers were answered in a roundabout way because the the bulk of the evening was spent watching dramas that were mostly depressing. Each film had a silver lining, but not enough comedic relief to unleash that hideous laugh. No abortions and holocaust, but there was suicide, murder and genocide, so that shut her up and enabled us to enjoy our evening.

It was as solid line-up. One of the best in years, actually. I think any of the live-action shorts deserved to win. I'd give the nod to the steam-punk influenced Death of a Shadow. It was very freakin unique. Marie liked Curfew so much she bought it on iTunes.

I have an awful memory. As for the animated shorts...I'd give it to Paperman. Definitely.

If you've never been I highly recommend you go next year. Make sure to buy your tix in advance from the website because it always sells-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment