Friday, October 19, 2012

Conan: Road of Kings


Bugger. The last book that's currently out. I had to pre-order the next one, which comes out in February I think.

Well, at least I can move on to the Criminal anthology, a new Northlanders, and 100 Bullets. I'm not lacking in the comic department. Shit, I've got some catching up to do on the Walking Dead, too. I might even be two TPB's behind at this point.

Road of Kings. Different artist. Very angular. This guy is more exaggerated and more "comic book-y" for lack of a better term. I prefer a bit more realism in their portrayal. This is a little more light-hearted and comedic. The blood is just a pool of red. It's not as visceral as it should be. Conan is a gritty character. He's not fucking Disney-fied.

Thievery. Piracy. Pubs. Sewers. Ale. Wenches. Jewels. Kings and Blood. Another tried and true Conan story. When's the dude ever gonna learn about women? They're always getting him into bloody trouble and it generally has to do with jewelry of some sort of another. Anyway, this is a good sprawling tale that takes Conan all over the place. He's hunted by some crazy Gestapo looking dude and he has a fair amount of encounters with crazy animals and insects along the way to saving a hot princess. Like he's prone to do.

You get used to the art. It's a good book. Story flows well. I'll look forward to re-reading these all over again. Maybe I should read Preacher again next year first, though...or Y the Last Man...Fuck, so many good books, so precious little time. I really need to reboot Walking Dead from the start. For sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment